Monday, July 21, 2008

specific facet search

Sometimes when searching, a searcher can enter just one term and get exactly what they are looking for. I used the Books in Print database. I wanted to find a recent book about Pluto. Since Pluto was demoted to a dwarf planet in 2006, I wanted to see what new children's books are available about Pluto's new status. I went to the Children's Room section of the database. I used the advanced search option and I asked for books currently in print about Pluto. I limited the search by publication years 2007-2008 and I entered one subject keyword, Pluto. I got 15 hits, all of which were pertinent. Here is the second hit.

Title:
Pluto: From Planet to Dwarf
Author:
Elaine Landau
Publication Date:
March 2008
Publisher:
Scholastic Library Publishing
Imprint:
Children's Press
Country of Publication:
United States
Market:
United States
ISBN:
0-531-14794-0
ISBN13:
978-0-531-14794-8
EAN:
9780531147948
Item Status:
Active Record (Readily Available)
Binding Format:
Perfect
Edition:
illustrated
Pages:
48
Price:
$6.95 (USD Retail) (Publisher)
Also Available Through:
Alibris ; Baker & Taylor Books; Brodart Company; Ingram Book Company; NACSCORP, Incorporated
Current Language:
English
Series Title:
A\True Booktrade;: Space Ser.
Age Range:
8 to 10
Grade Range:
Third Grade to Fifth Grade
Audience:
Juvenile
Bowker Subjects:
PLANETS_JUVENILE LITERATURE
General Subjects (BISAC):
JUVENILE NONFICTION / Science & Nature / Astronomy
Children's Subjects:
PLUTO (PLANET)
Physical Dimensions (W x L x H):
7.04 x 8.38 x .13 in..25 lbs.

2 comments:

dr.a said...

Why didn't you do this search on your blog topic? Your other searches are and they look fine, by the way.

Alison said...

Dr. A,
I picked this search because a children's librarian must make sure literature is current. Since my blog topic is children's literature, I chose to search for a current book for children reflecting Pluto's demotion.