Monday, July 7, 2008

Building Block Search

Almost everyone uses computers to locate information. Most people use google and perform simple searches. There are several types of searches. Here is an example of a building block search. I used the LibLit database available through the library at TWU. In order to get as many hits as possible, I used three synonyms for each search term. The first term I used (S1) was recommendations or suggestions or advice. I got 5,616 hits. I added a second term (S2), children or kids or adolescents and got 750 hits. When I added the third search term (S3), literature or books or reading materials, I got 547 hits. When I narrowed the search by hits published between 2005-2008, I got 75 hits. 75 is a workable number, but not until the 32nd hit did I find what I was looking for: recommended books for kids. This is what hit 32 looked like.

Title:
2007: Best, Notable, & Recommended
Journal Name:
Teacher Librarian
Source:
Teacher Librarian v. 34 no. 4 (April 2007) p. 8-22
Publication Year:
2007
Abstract:
RECOMMENDED RESOURCES FOR CHILDREN WERE COMPILED BY THE ASSOCIATION FOR LIBRARY F-SERVICE TO CHILDREN AND FOR YOUNG ADULTS BY THE YOUNG ADULT SERVICES ASSOCIATION, DIVISIONS OF THE AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION. Reprinted by permission of the publisher.
Subject(s):
Children's literature/Book lists; Young adults' literature/Book lists; Motion pictures for children/Bibliography; Video recordings/Bibliography; Computer software/Bibliography; Talking books/Bibliography; Young adults' literature/Paperback books; Readability and readable books/Bibliography; Association for Library Service to Children; Young Adult Library Services Association
Peer Reviewed Journal:
ISSN:
1481-1782
Language of Document:
English
Document Type:
Bibliography
Database:
Education; Library & Information Science
Accession Number:
200709106345003
Persistent URL:
Click to copy the HTML full text article link

Alison

No comments: